Mercenaries of The Sun
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for the members of Mercenaries of The Sun guild.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  VCN Control PanelVCN Control Panel  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

4th Dimension...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Twil
Baby Spammer
Baby Spammer
Twil

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 9:59 pm

As everyone knows... The second dimension is length and width.

The third dimension is length, width, and depth.

But now here's a question... Since the 4th dimension is usually involved with "time"... then why is it not compared with length and/or width or even height!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:8-cell-simple.gif

Here, we can see what the fourth dimension "in-action" as some would say.

Now then... Obviously everyone knows that a right angle is defined as one quarter of a revolution and "orthogonal" refers to coordinates or functions that are at right angles to each other.

Cartesian geometry arbitrarily chooses orthogonal directions through space, which means that they add height. The fourth dimension is therefore the direction in space that is at right angles to these three observable directions.

But one question remains... How does the fourth dimension then relate itself to "time" itself!?
Back to top Go down
Suriyawong
Destin for Greatness!
Destin for Greatness!
Suriyawong

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:40 am

Perhaps it relates to time since it changes it's shape. I'm talking about the thing from the link you sent. It would mean that if we'd stop time, that picture would become 3D, as it wouldn't move at all.

Meh, I don't know really. That'd make all the games and videos 4D, wouldn't it? Or perhaps 4D means the 3D images shown in real time?
Back to top Go down
Moderator Oaken
Moderator Oaken

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Oo   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 11:28 am

We can spend as much time as we want talking about dimensions. There are more than just the first, second, third, and fourth dimensions.

Here's a little something I know on the fourth dimension:
In the third dimension, Earth is rotating the sun in a curved path.
In the fourth dimension, Earth is rotating the sun in a straight line.
Maybe the fourth dimension could be talking about the curvature of space?

EDIT: I know more, I just hate talking about the dimensions because they can get REALLY REALLY confusing. My friend and I used to talk about this kinda crap all the time during school, made us get weird looks. Sad
Back to top Go down
Suriyawong
Destin for Greatness!
Destin for Greatness!
Suriyawong

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 1:56 pm

If it refers to the curvature of space, then the 4th dimension is gravity, not time, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Moderator Oaken
Moderator Oaken

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: m   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 12:22 am

Ya, I've also read at some website dedicated to the fourth dimension that time is not the fourth dimension, and that it is a whole other dimension.
Dimensions can become very fun topics. Razz

---

While this is midly off-topic, what about wormholes being another dimension? It's a shortcut through space, and even time, so it could be thought of as another dimension.

Last edited by Moderator Ailita on Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Double post.)
Back to top Go down
Suriyawong
Destin for Greatness!
Destin for Greatness!
Suriyawong

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 6:46 am

Well that shortcut is bending the fabric of the universe in such a way that it brings two points that are initially very far away from each other, closer. The theory is actually proven, that wormholes do exist O_O Dunno how they managed that, but they did it affraid
Back to top Go down
Moderator Oaken
Moderator Oaken

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: m   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2008 3:00 pm

There's a chapter in A Brief History of Time on wormholes, I could probably find out there. Sadly, it's on the other side of my room. It will have to wait. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Suriyawong
Destin for Greatness!
Destin for Greatness!
Suriyawong

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 9:45 am

Lol. Lazy *takes a deep breath* KITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111oneone
Back to top Go down
Meranim
Meranim

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 11:18 am

Suriyawong wrote:
Lol. Lazy *takes a deep breath* KITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111oneone

give him a break.........give him a kitkat :p
Back to top Go down
Ailita
Forum Geek
Forum Geek
Ailita

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 am

This stuff makes me freak out. >_> Way too difficult.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4th Dimension... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4th Dimension...   4th Dimension... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4th Dimension...
Page 1 of 1